26 January 2010

Marathon Training Day 2

Today's training called for a 3 mile run/jog/walk. Check!

We had planned to go at 6:30 AM, but the community center doesn't open until 8, so we went at 8. It was snowing so we drove. Rather, we spent 10 minutes scraping ice and snow off the car so we could drive what would have taken us 5 minutes to walk. Tomorrow, we are walking to the CC.

I, having never really used a treadmill before, accidentally reset the thing twice while I was running on it. Luckily, Niki wasn't mashing buttons or toying with stuff like I was so we used her treadmill to keep track of our time. Something fun: when I got off the treadmill and walked around, I felt like I was moving really fast. My brain had gotten used to me running but not moving so when I did move, it thought I was moving rather quickly. It was an exceedingly cool effect.

Here are the results:
Phil
3 miles / 40 minutes
13.33 minutes/mile

Niki
3 miles / 46 minutes
15.33 minutes/mile

We discovered that we Phil can power walk at the minimum pace required for the marathon, 15 minutes/mile, but Niki's legs are too short. Our goal is a 13 minutes/mile pace, so we would finish in about 5.5 - 6 hrs. Given how difficult today was, we have a long way to go. A looooong way to go.

Tomorrow's training is another 3 mile run. We're probably going to go in the evening, around 8PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment