04 February 2010

Blueberry Bran Muffins

Niki here. I just made blueberry bran muffins to have for breakfast for the next few days. I got the recipe from a healthy cooking class I went to as a part of Women in Engineering at Purdue. The muffins are very tasty and are quite healthy. Here is the recipe for all to try:

Linda's Best Blueberry Muffins (by Linda Monahan, RD)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1.5 tbsp white vinegar + milk to 1 cup level)
1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup oats
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
option 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Add buttermilk to bran and let stand until absorbed. Cream together sugar, oil, and egg until light. Mix the rest of the dry ingredients together. Blend into creamed mix alternately bran mix and dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in blueberries and nuts. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins and freezes well. You can substitute your favorite fruit (dried apricots, cherries, cranberries, mangoes) for blueberries.

Here are the health stats per muffin: 237 calories, 32 g carbs, 6 g protein, 11 g fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 89 mg calcium

I actually made a mix of mini muffins and regular sized muffins with my silicone bakeware. I ended up making 12 mini muffins and 9 regular sized muffins. I baked my muffins in the toaster oven (which normally cooks things faster) so I had to decrease the baking time down to 17 minutes. I let the first batch go for 20 minutes and they were a little too brown for my taste, but 17 seemed perfect. I really like this recipe so I think I am going to bake a batch every 1-2 weeks. I think next time I will change it up a little bit and add mixed berries and see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment